|Home made cheese in salad|
1 liter/quart of whole milk (not skim)
60 mL (¼ c) vinegar
salt and pepper
- Over medium heat, heat milk in a pot until it's about to boil. Turn off heat.
- Pour vinegar into milk and stir. Milk will separate into curds (solid) and whey (liquid).
- Pour entire contents of pot through a clean dish towel or cheese cloth. Fasten cloth shut and hang it for 30 minutes, allowing whey to drip out.
- Take down cloth and open up to remove curds. Put curds in a pan and then place another pan on top of the cheese. Place a heavy object on top of the second pan. Let sit for 30 minutes. Pressure will remove extra liquid and give you a solid piece of cheese.
- Remove cheese and cut into cubes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Store in fridge for up to four days.
|Curds after hanging for 30 minutes.|